View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yjtoy View Post
Ok More info. engine stamped # is 21P3903?9 The question mark looks like a sideways stamped 9 .
21P3903-9
2 = Pontiac Motor Division
1 = 1971
P = Pontiac Michigan assembly plant (probably a Grand Prix motor)
(six digit number) = matches vin from the car it came from

Quote:
On the transmission The stamped number is HOC19B the cast # is 3962882 and date code is B280.
HOC19B
H = Source code; Muncie built H.D. three speed; I believe H was for passenger cars, S was for light duty trucks, and M was for HD trucks.
0 = 1970 model year produced
C = Month built; C = March
19 = day of the month
B = gear set 'B'; 2.42/1.58/1.00/2.41R

Case casting number
These can sometimes be hard to read, but I believe it should be 3952882, as this matches the two Muncie three speeds I have documented so far.
1969 = 3911882
1970 = 3952882
1971 = ??
1972 = 3887948

Case casted date code
B = February
28 = 28th
0 = 1970 (calender year)

Quote:
Going to send off to PHS tomorrow. I am very interested in what it will say. Where all could the build sheet be. It has Camaro seats in it and I pulled all the rear seat and carpets out nothing there. could it be on the tank perhaps?

If I could find a good enough donor car I might be inclined to start a resto build on it..

If not, what kind of values are the rest of the parts worth?

Also just want to say thanks for all the help and understanding on this. I know that some sites are not that way.

Pat
I am MORE than happy to help;
I might be the (self proclaimed maybe?) most nutty person on this site over three speed manual transmission - specifically Muncie three speeds, and specifically in respect to 1970 Firebirds ~ there is virtually NO information out there on these transmissions, so my info has taken a LONG time to compile.
There's so little info out htere on these, that many people don't even know that Muncie made a three speed;
One of my former bosses has a 1970 GTO (I can't recall if it's a Judge or not), but it's a three speed car, and I had to quietly/privately correct him after he told someone it was a saginaw three speed... he's a collector, and you should have seen his eyes bug out when I was explaining what his car was... lol

I'm very interested on learning of the PHS on this car;
BTW, the PHS will show no transmission option, because that's just it, nothing was ordered.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)