View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gearing up to do major work on the Lemans this Spring so the TA went into drydock to fix some issues. First were the door glass; these have been vexing me for a long time. The Lemans glass is excellent - does not flop around. And after seeing a 79 Camaro with low miles and noting how solid the door closed and glass was firm I was galvanized into action.

First noted that the doors had a bit of sag already. I was not about to try the cowl bolts - paint chip city! So I simply made some 0.040" shims to go between the lower hinge and door - worked fine. Second I noticed that the Legendary door panels did not hug the door very well, the "hook" angle was too open. A pair of sheet metal tongs and clamping it to the bench fixed that.

Minor adjustments were then made and now the doors close with a solid thunk like the Lemans (no ratles). The driver's forward upper window guide was worn, I peeled the material off and siliconed a fresh section back on - no more squeal.

When I peeled off the panel - none of those lower "Christmas Tree" push in fasteners released, they all pulled out of the cardboard and were rock hard. I said the hell with it and used painted trim screws to secure the lower edge. Another issue was one of those brown side sockets broke, I did not feel like waiting a week for a replacement and made one out of UHMW - worked fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181230_131353423.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	501853