View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I've mentioned this before but still holds true IMO..what's 'old' has changed over the decades... A 25 year old car in 1975 was a heck of a lot 'older' than it is in 2020.
Think about it... A 1950 Chevrolet delivery van in the HS parking lot in 1975 would be way more noticeable than a 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe in today's HS parking lot.

Greg, so often I've seen you post responses that parallel my thinking!
Before getting to this post, I was reminiscing about my own experiences with "old" cars at school. At age 16 I owned the GTO I have today, and that was in 1973. I was in high school and driving a 6 year old car. My parents had a 4 year old car, and we were lower middle class economically in my opinion.

My best friend was driving his 4 year old '69 Z28 and the '40 Ford coupe that he inherited from his father's passing a year earlier. It had a 283 with a three speed behind it, 63 Impala bucket seats and chrome reverse wheels with white walls. Talk about sticking out in a crowd! At 33 years old then, it compares to a kid driving a 1987 Crown Vic (or Mustang?) today.

We raised so much Hell in that coupe, we should have been locked up several times over but never were.

Fast forward to now. Three months ago we took in a true, numbers matching Hugger Orange '69 SS Camaro that a middle aged woman had saved and garaged since her teen years. She asked me to go through the car and get it road worthy and safe for her 16 year old son to drive. To their credit, they cut no corners letting us get it right.

We also added Vintage Air and an upgraded stereo system with Bluetooth.

This kid seems so half-hearted about having this car, it's a shame. I get the feeling he will be embarrassed to drive it, and I feel bad for the parents. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow.

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 01-23-2020 at 11:53 PM.