View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Default Interesting find from my car

I'm in the process of restoring my 68 GTO, that I've had since '94. A little back story, when I got it, it was clean and you could say restored. I drove it all through college and in the early 2000's I started to restore it. I'm finding out now that what looks to be a really clean well restored car, can be hiding a lot of bad restoration work. There must have been a restoration done on it in late 80's early 90's before I got it. I've discovered that the quarters had been redone on it at some point, and man they did a half assed job. On the bottom rear of the quarter where it meets up the the trunk floor extension, they didn't even cut away all the rusty original quarter! At first when I was trying to diagnose what was rusty, I couldn't even figure out what I was looking at. I ended up replacing the back lower half and the trunk extension . So to my find.. underneath all this mess I found a section of the original quarter, and what appears to be a pretty cool 70's style paint job. It looks like a black metal flake pin stripe and the bottom of the quarter was done in black metal flake also. In the third pic I held it up to where it was on the quarter, and you can see some of the original verdoro green that it was painted. I though it was cool, and wish I could have seen some pictures of the whole car painted like that. I imagine someone maybe street racing it, as it was originally a four speed car and is now a turbo 400 automatic. Has anyone else discovered anything cool while restoring their car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	526427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1672.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	526428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1498.jpg
Views:	367