View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 07:06 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up Last chance for the Tripower before I go EFI. Dick Boneske is their Obiwan Kenobe

The 421 in my wife's 65 GTO and the 65 Tripower setup were all together and running when we bought the car. It's a real 389 4bbl GTO, but we enjoy telling the Royal Bobcat story, and the car is a fine tribute to the top performance modification offered by Royal Pontiac in late 1965.
One immediate tuning problem was the knocking and pinging of the high compression engine. After chasing ever higher octane fuels to resolve the detonation, I found the timing was WAY too far advanced. The 6777 iron heads had been hand ported, and had Comp Cams springs, locks, retainers, and steel roller tipped rocker arms. When I discovered a rod knock, I specced out some upgrades with my local engine builder, including a Comp Cams hydraulic roller setup, RaceTech custom (.035 over) forged aluminum pistons with a slight dish for a 10.1:1 CR, Eagle H-beam rods, billet steel double roller timing set, and a Pertronix Ignitor III billet aluminum distributor. Since the heads had been "worked" I kept those in the mix, but had them machined for Viton valve stem seals, and they have hardened seats.
I had All American Carburetors restore the Tripower, and they did a good job, BUT they didn't make any modifications, and they have never run well with the 421.
So a local GTO owner got a 3x2 EFI system that looks like a Tripower, and he's been very happy with the performance and reliability. They look great, but they cost $8k with all of the supporting equipment.
Enter Mr. Dick Boneske! Knowing I had one last chance to get the Tripower "right", I read about the Tripower setups he had restored and modified for various performance applications, including stroker motors.
I'll be getting them back very soon, and I expect a lot from them. I'll post results soon.