Thread: Which Radiator?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
How many people out there have over heating problems with a copper recored original four core radiator?

Always wondered since most people compare a new aluminum radiator to a old OEM unit with the original core rather than a quality recored piece.
That is a good question. After restoring my 67 GTO, I installed a brand new Desert cooler 4 row radiator which was bigger than the original 4 row OEM that came with my car. I could not keep the car cool in traffic with the 462 stroker motor in it.

I upgraded to a dual 1" Rodney Red radiator and it ran better but I would still have to pull over if stuck in traffic for more than 30 minutes.

Next upgrade was a dual 1 1/4" unit from a no name company in Michigan. $800 plus a very expensive pair of Spal fans and a custom fan shroud and Problem solved!

Last year just to be safe, we installed our SD/HO radiator kit just to see how it stacked up to my previous $1500 set up.

Same exact results. 190 all day long. I can sit in traffic for 2 hours and not get any hotter.