View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 08:18 PM

Ok - thank you very much for the information on the likely source of the leaking.

There is a tag on the housing that says it is "factory rebuilt by Garrett" and gives a part number and serial number. When I search for the part number it comes back as the factory turbo for a Pontiac.

The housing itself is clean and doesn't look to be 25 years old or older on the rebuild. Would seem that not having a seal would have been a nightmare for warranty issues back in the day, so maybe there is a different type of seal used in the modern turbo world. Just having a slip fit where oil is involved doesn't seem so good. Using red RTV to seal the drain tube flange doesn't seem like a factory approach though. Maybe an attempt afterwards to slow the leak.

I could call Garrett and give them the serial # and part number though not sure what info they would give me on it. The fellow I bought the car from was not mechanically inclined and I couldn't get any better info on the car and had to price that in as best I could. He had owned the car a short time and realized he was in over his head and was believable.

Last edited by onewheelpeel; 06-29-2020 at 08:32 PM.