View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Confirming valve adjustment

I'm chasing a potential ticking Comp 857 lifter on Old Faithful. Not sure it is a lifter at this point, but I want to confirm my understanding of some things before I go further.

It feels to me like there are about two full turns from zero lash until the plunger bottoms out in the lifter. At 20 threads per inch on a 7/16 rocker stud, that's about .100 inches of plunger travel, right?

Ok, so now I set the valves last night using EOIC. Car hasn't run in a few days. I set them at 1/2 turn past zero lash per Comp's instructions, but when I tightened the set screw they all went another 1/4 turn or so. So again, at 20 threads per inch, .05 inches per full turn of the poly lock, at 3/4 turn, I'm probably looking at .035 inches of preload or so.

So what I was thinking of doing to double-check is to go through the firing order again. This time, I was going to push the back of the rocker all the way down to bottom the plunger, put a dial indicator on the rocker, and see how far up the plunger comes. I'm expecting to see about .065 inches of travel.

Does this make sense? At that point, I plan to test drive the car. If I still have the noise, I plan to add another half turn to each and see if the noise changes.

I guess I'm assuming after a few days of sitting and a few rotations through the firing order with a bump starter that I'll be able to push the rockers all the way down by hand.