View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 12:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You guys are awesome for directing me to the correct wires.
Here is what I did to isolate the problem, I believe to be the sending unit in the tank.
As I mentioned earlier, I tested the range on the fuel gauge with an actual fuel sending unit I have from a 67 GTO and the gauge operated correctly through the full to empty range. I tested several times.
To test the wiring and sender in the car, I located the connections you directed me to where the ground wire for the sending unit is connected to the frame and unbolted that. It was very corroded so I cleaned it all up and reattached all. With ignition on - gauge went to beyond full. I then undid the connector with the pink wire in front of the fuel filler and connected that to the ground and the gauge went to empty which should tell me that the wire is good to the gauge. I then ran a ground wire from the battery back to the connection on the frame with the ground to the tank sender to insure I had a good ground - repeated all tests with the same results.
I don't know that it could be anything but the sender in the tank. This is surprising to me as the other day all was working great when I parked it. I added some sea foam and fuel system cleaner to the fuel and then the gauge was bad the next time I started it to run the cleaner through the fuel system.
It looks like I just need to undo the two straps to drop the tank. Any other pointers in addition to adding good fuel line
Thanks guys - the fuel gauge is important and a priority to repair.