View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 05:58 PM

Default No Drag Racing at Wichita GTOAA Convention 2020

I just attended the Pontiac Uprising in Great Bend Kansas last weekend. By the way this is a great event and I encourage you all to attend.

While I was at the Uprising a little birdie informed me that the GTOAA does not want drag racing as part of the convention in Wichita in 2020. I guess the GTOAA is making a statement that drag racers are not wanted at their conventions. If you do not have a show car their won't be much for you. They have had conventions in 1988, 1998, and 2010. Drag Racing has always been part of their convention, and always had a great turn out for the Drag Racing whether in Ark City or Wichita. This part of the country has a lot of Pontiac racers, not to mention one of the fastest Pontiacs in the nation with Mike Coopers 6 second firebird. You would think the GTOAA would want to promote this!

Mike Cooper has a venue already lined up, sponsors to help pay for the race, and has volunteered to run the race program. As of right now the GTOAA is still saying no. This disappoints me that these conventions have just become a venue for the car show people. These cars were built for drag racing! I know if drag racing is cut from this convention there will be at least a dozen cars from my area that will not attend. Many of which already have hotel rooms booked.