Thread: Rookie Racer
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 03:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All of this is too awesome, Jack. Congrats' on your accomplishments thus far. 150-MPH on the second run (and picking up so much MPH over the first run) is nothing to sneeze at for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Thanks for all the well-wishes.

I also need to thank the competitors and LTA officials who freely shared their time/muscle/knowledge with me during my rookie session; without them I'd not have gotten far (with no crew).

To answer some of your questions-

> LTA events are held on the decommissioned (but well maintained) Loring AFB main runway (12,000' long, 300' wide concrete). Speed timing is at 1.0 & 1.5 miles.
Also provided is a shorter strip available for non-timed test & tune runs.

> The 150 run saw 6,800 rpm. Eventually I'll shoot for turning it at least 9,500 rpm. (valvetrain is tested to 10,000 and crank modifications to 11,200).

> I can't predict whether I'll have any success getting near the 206 mph record for the 1.5 mile. As the car stands, acceleration was better at 6,000 than at 6,800, so I've got a long way to go (about three times as much power needed as it took to go 150 mph).

> Next event for me will be spring '21 Loring.

> Yes, I certainly would have attended Norwalk 2020. And if no conflicts, I hope to attend Norwalk '21.