View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
the fuel starvation issues happen on cars much faster than any stock car ever produced. its usually engines of 425+ hp & good drag radials getting decent traction running mid 12's or faster. none of those cars listed above were that fast, most were in the mid 13's. & drag radials didnt exist back then, street cars usually ran on hard street tires.

i have the robbmc 1100 pump & i still have fuel starvation issues with 1/2" line on good runs, it doesnt happen all the time, i can click off pretty consistent low 11 sec runs, but when i do a hard launch or take the rpms higher than usual it will cut out at the top of 2nd gear around 1/2-3/4 track.

on the street i can run as hard as i want & never see the issue, from a launch or at a roll spinning tires through all gears. the problem happens at hard launch & good traction on the track when a mechanical pump needs to pull fuel through almost 20 feet of fuel line, with bends, & try to keep a little q-jet fuel bowl full. i plan to play with the psi of the pump a little more & see if turning it up at the track will help... if that doesnt work, its in tank pump time!

also the hp ratings of fuel pumps (550, 1100) are done with them sitting still on a dyno with a short big supply fuel line, so the actual power they can support goes out the window when in the real world of drag racing. small pusher pumps like the carter are a great idea for priming the carb after sitting or as a small helper pump for some cars below a certain power level/et, but i doubt they would do much for the real fast street/strip cars.

anyone out there with 450-500+hp run a carter type pusher pump that overcomes a fuel starvation issue at the track from a mech pump? would be a cheap alternative to an expensive fuel pump set up if they did.
Can you see a fuel gauge when this happens?