View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 07:20 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Tradermike 2012 -- I disagree on your assessment of the # 866 Cam as being a special Tri-Power cam. It was used from 1958 to 1962 on a number of different engines both 4-barrel and Tri-Power and simply a stock Cam for many engines of that period. It is slightly smaller than an "068" Cam and certainly "not" any type of upgrade over the Original Equipment "068" cam.
MIKES ANSWER TO THIS: I read some were on a Forum a description of the various Cams used over the years on the Pontiac Engines many were used in the 4 bbl. carb. applications. Only the # 866 was designated specifically for Tri-Power, why is that? I simply deduced that the Pontiac designers spent allot of time on the test course to determine and come down with that result. I personally like the # 866 Cam through my own limited experience. Yes, the "067 and 068" are close in specs but they were designed for the 4bbl Quadra- jet and that is where they belong.

I have no problem with people installing Tri-Power carbs on their 1967 Pontiacs and above Engines, but that won't win them points at a show. In my case the 428 ci Pontiac Engine is more proper in my 1979 Pontiac Firebird TA than the 403 ci Olds ever was. I feel like I am fixing Pontiac's mistake. I have the "041" Cam installed in my 1967 Pontiac 428 ci "HO" know.

I recently advanced the Cam Timing and soon I will see if this helps with the lower end Torque as I planned it should. I just installed a new HD Torque Converter from Hughes and will let people know how the Performance has improved. We serviced the TH 400 Throttle Body with a B+M **** improvement kit and Flushed the Trans. We added a Remote Trans. Filter to. Added new Fluid with 3 bottles of Trans. additives as we were diagnosing the Broken Torque Converter problem that has Plagued me for the last 5 months.

New Inner Trans Filter, Vacuum Modulator and repair to the Detent Solenoid. We inspected the Governor and cleaned it as well as a small screen in the Governor Tube that was both dirty and collapsed. We are installing a new Electrical junction Box from the Rear Batt. in the Trunk and a Blade Fuse Panel under the hood for all the add on accessories.

New wire Loom from Painless and Summit to. Installed Rear Brake lines and Proportioning valve. Need to order the front Brake lines next. We have the new rebuild kits for the Carbs. but I am not sure If I should Buff them Bright and Clear or Media Blast and clear or paint them with Eastwoods Products. Mike out .