View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 11:23 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
I thought I remembered a test that Royal did at Motor City Dragway comparing a Tri Power to the new Q Jet on a 1967 GTO. It showed that the Q Jet was faster than the Tri Power. They ran the car several times in each configuration. Tri Power always looked cooler though.
MIKES ANSWER TO THIS:

I have read that story and some more, it can go either way, it depends on the set up. They never get the proper tune or don't use Air Induction on the Tri-power etc... The only way to prove that scenario is to match up 2 cars the exact same and tune and tires etc... I have seen a Dyno Test of Tri-Power vs Quad. Vs 2 4 bbl . What it showed is that each setup would reach HP and Torque numbers at different times. All worked and the end result is "What", you said it already "The Tri-Power is Eye Candy and at the Car shows they stick out" Don't they"?

My 1979 Pontic Firebird TA with the 1967 Pontiac 428 ci HO with 1966 Tri-Power Intake and Carbs well-Tuned over a Total of Phenolics and Gaskets of one inch thick under them. When the passing Gear and Secondaries kicked in, working in conjunction with the original Torque Converter and Cam. I smashed down on the accelerator pedal at 70 MPH and the vehicle dropped into second Gear, at 90 MPH throwing me back in my seat and stuck to it, until 120 MPH. After that went slowly to 130 Max.

I have working Air Induction and MSD Ignition. New timing Gear, Johnson Lifters and Chrome Moly HD push Rods. New oil Pump, just the stock 376 HP from the Factory Engine. Well-built Carbs. are up jetted for the Air Induction and Headers.

Dual Exhaust exit out the Diffuser at the Tail Pipes. The only thing I can compare that experience to: was riding in my Fathers Vett. on the race track with him when I was a kid. Don't get me wrong, Dad's corvette was a 1968 427 Tri-Power 435 HP and Blue printed and balanced to 500 HP, standard shift, no ac Vehicle Convertible. For a moment I was Trans fixed. MIKE OUT.