View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Down in FL right now - my wife had a conference for work at Margaritaville Orlando.

Yesterday while she was in meetings, when out to the auction to look at cars.

Ran across this '64 GTO Convertible, Sunfire Red, Black top and interior, Tri Power, 4spd car.

Mecum's estimated valuation $80 - 100,000.00.

I'm going to have to check the results, because if this thing sells for anywhere near that price, my '64 is worth a lot more than I thought it was....

The car looks good from 20'. But just a quick look showed some body issues I would not expect on an $80,000+ car.

First shot is the car over all, second is showing some aftermarket stainless molding screwed in to the door inside the jam and showing exposed bondo (and it's like that on both doors). Third shot shows the poorly aligned rear quarter panel/extension (and it's like that on both sides).

Saw some very nice Pontiac's - Firebirds, GTO's, Grand Prix's, Bonneville's, G8's, Catalina's and Solstices.

Also saw an abortion of a '62 Thunderbird - last photo... That lexan 'convertible top' held in place by stainless steel framework was the bomb...
This is the main reason to go and look at in person if you are serious about buying at an auction. Nothing wrong with auctions just know the fees and what you are getting. I have had a lot of success but I also do my homework first. Set a max and let it go if the price is beyond your limit, even if its only $100. I looked at a motorcycle that was absolutely beautiful in the pics and online. Had determined a top price and registered. At the last minute I was able to make the trip. When I saw the bike in person it was a mess. The $1000 trip saved me at least $8k!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post: