View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Looks like I'll definitely be doing my front seats myself. Just got a quote from the local upholstery shop. With me supplying covers, the good foam cushions and an installation kit ... they want $680-850.00 !! That with the seat frames out of the vehicle, cleaned and ready to go. They said it takes 8-10 hours.

After reading this thread, watching a bunch of videos, including the ones from Legendary ... looks like a couple hours per seat even for a newbie.

Am I that far off base??
I would say that unless they are including blasting and powdercoating/painting in that price its pretty high...

Start to finish on an average pair of buckets- including full teardown, repairs, and re-installing all the trim parts and tracks... easily between 8-10 hours and that doesn't include wire brushing or cleaning or painting anything.

Teardown- 2 hours (takes longer the more deteriorated it is)
Spring repairs- ~1hour (can be less if there aren't any needed obviously- replacing complete spring assemblies still takes time to remove and install the new ones)
Install buns & padding- 1-2 hours
Cover install - 3 hours
Reassembly - 1-2 hours (reinstalling all the little hardware & trim panels, locating & cutting holes through the covers... bolting upper and lower cushions together, installing chrome trim on seat back & sides, etc etc)

I do these in my spare time, so there is a lot more stopping and starting which adds more time... but I have also done "emergency" projects and doing a pair of buckets and back seat start to finish can easily eat up an entire day.