View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyWashburn View Post
Looking for forum input regarding when out-of-the-box Edelbrock heads are good enough for street use versus requiring additional port work to make them "better" than as-shipped. This conversation is specific to the 72cc round port version.

Engine is a 461 Butler rotating assy with dished Ross pistons where the dish is machined fully round and leaves only ¼" of the flat top remaining. The pistons are a terrible mismatch for my current RAII closed-chamber iron heads, hence I'm considering a change to the open-chamber E-heads.

Car is a 4-speed, 3.73 rear. Cam is a HR 224/224 @ .050, 114 LS.

I know porting can further enhance mid-range and upper-end HP, but what I'm interested in is low-end to mid-range grunt. For a pure street car that will never be raced and will rarely see 5500 shifts, is the flow of the as-shipped E-heads good enough?

Thanks.
they are plenty good for what you described & better than almost any factory head.... but a bit overkill for the purpose you described.

i have the round port 72cc e-heads on a 467 pump gas motor with a factory intake (ported) & q-jet & the same dished ross pistons at 10.7:1. its more than what the street tires can handle even at 1/2-3/4 throttle & low 5000rpm shifts & runs excellent in all situations. from city to highway cruising. 3.23 gears & th400 trans.

& just for perspective since you dont plan to race it, my 2nd gen firebird does consistent low 11's at 121+mph launching off idle & traction problems with drag radials using out of the box e-heads with their provided valves.

Last edited by 78w72; 01-27-2020 at 11:12 AM.