View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
good lesson learned huh
Naw, I raced that particular car just for the thrill of racing against a very fast car that was pretty much one of the local legends. Didn't care if I won or lost really, it was solely for the experience.

My VW could handle itself plenty well among the local musclecar contingent. Beat quite a few cars that I wasn't sure I could take, but I put my money down and gave it my best. Among them I spanked a '69 302 Z/28 4-speed, '69 Boss 302 4-speed, '68 Corvette 327 4-speed, '68 Roadrunner 383 auto, '65 Skylark with a 327 (Chev) 4-speed and many others.

That little VW could easily kick the crap out of the newer 'smogger' Trans Ams and 'vettes of the day. I really didn't run into many cars that could take my 13-second VW as 13-second street cars just weren't all that plentiful on the streets back in the late '70s.

Besides, how could I possibly lose face getting beat by a V8 with only a tiny 4-cylinder?

Didn't lose very often, and that little VW was feared by the locals. Because of the low 1st and 2nd gearing they have a high-13s Bug leaves the line like a 12-second V8 car.