View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 12:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Lower Radiator Hose

For the sake of keeping the story line straight and all in one place, I'm going to steal what was already solved in a previous thread on the topic, for this posting if you don't mind.

Lower hose with aftermarket radiator?

Basically, the OD of a stock radiator inlet for a LeMans is 1.5625" (1 9/16). The ID of the correct lower hose is 1.55" and normally, they fit together just like they are supposed to. Introduce the new, awesome aluminum, took me years to commit to buying, aftermarket radiator's 1.75" outlet and it presents a problem. (Who didn't see this coming? Anyone? Bueller?) Here is the rundown.

The original style hose is the NAPA 7592:

I can get it over the outlet, but it stretches so badly, there is no way this wont collapse and eventually cause an issue over time. (no spring in this hose)

Since I know of no hose that has 1.75 on both ends, AND takes the turns this one does to tuck up and out of the way, I had to make it a fix. (Hey my Italian mechanic is back!) Enter NAPA 9733. It has 1.75 on the radiator end and is 2.0 on the water pump side. It has a straight enough section near the 1.75 end and a proper radius to make the turn to the radiator I need. I cut this hose in the middle of the straight and mounted it to the rad outlet.

Then I cut the stock hose replacement (NAPA 7592) at the same spot I cut the first hose - the middle of the straight - and mounted the part of this hose that fits the water pump.

In between these two hoses, I used this adapter from Filler Neck Supply (P/N 3844)

Barring a few ugly clamps in the middle of the lower hose, it works. What I've found in the startups however, are the hoses want to push off until they reach the bead on either end. So, instead of it looking like I had in my picture before I started the car.....

...it now shows a bit of the adapter between the hoses. Thats fine, I just need to cut the hoses a bit more.

To mitigate the risk against leakage, I'm using this type of worm clamp on both sides.

So far, no leaks, but a drive in the heat with a few fluids cycles will be the true test.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread