View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Fire in the hole!

Soooo...if the engine is in, and the electrical is run, and the fuel is run, you see any reason I cant start this thing? Me neither.

Lets just pretend I posted about making the spark leads. And while you're pretending, imagine I said this:

I went with the Taylor 409s because I like the way they look - plain and simple. Taylor makes a great wire and these should prove no different. Just buy the universal set - The Pontiac set has wires that are way too long IMO.

If you can imagine all of that, we just saved ourselves a post on making wires. I had no pictures anyway.

Since we are in the pretending mood, lets also make believe I ran the fuel isolater and connected the vac lines for the brakes, and plugged in that pesky distributor.

First things first.

Tip#15 Always purge new fuel lines into a cup before sending fuel to the carb:

A shout out to the kick ass wife who tolerates all this crap, for getting distilled water for me in the middle of this ridiculous "pandemic".

Now we need oil and we gotta prime-

What else?
- Fuel fittings are tight
- 5 Gal in tank
- Lash is set
- Timing is close (initial is 10)
- Rotor is at number 1 on compression stroke
- Wires connected. CCW dont forget!
- Trans fluid at the ready
- Fire extinguisher is....somewhere...nearby. Where did I see that last? But seriously, its at the ready.
- Rear wheels are off the ground....you know, just in case that trans that's been out since 2015 ecides to do something funny.

I'm guessing this site (or maybe YouTube) doesn't allow YouTube videos to be embedded? I'm using the proper coding; other links work, just not when I feed it a YouTube link. I spent an hour coming to this conclusion. I gave up. Stupid YouTube.

As cool as it would have been to have the video clickable right here, I'll just give you the link:

====================First Fire Up=====================================
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0uEynN2IUc
====================First Fire Up=====================================

What I discovered after fire up -

- All my fuel fittings were not tight
- Minor water leak at the crossover and head
- She starts a tad hard
- My temp gauge no long gauges temp
- I'm not getting all my mechanical advance (barely any!)
- Electricity hates me
- The alternator isn't charging the battery (but its putting out voltage. Not a ton, but more than 12)
- The exhaust is smokey

How does the list of "to dos" get longer AFTER firing up the car? %&*%% ^#&()*%&*%. %$^&*(%^( %$@ *^%()_)%^

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread