View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 11:22 PM

Default 8 lug inner bearing & seal help please !!

I finally got around to installing my reconditioned 8 lug wheels on my 66 Catalina. Back ones went on fine. On the front drums, the races were installed by J&G when they relined and restored the wheels. He also provided boxes with new inner and outer bearings and a new seal. I greased up the inner bearing, dropped it in, and pounded in the seal (old style with felt on the inside).

The problem is that now the bearing will not turn. I don't know what the issue is.

I put the other side together and put it on the spindle without the seal and the castle nut screws on to an appropriate depth and the wheel will spin freely. I'm afraid to go in with the seal though because I don't want to lock that one up too.

I'd assume it has to be that either the race wasn't pressed in far enough or the seal is wrong? Since the race was installed by the wheel shop and the seal was provided by them I'd like to believe they're correct. I'm going to email or call him in the AM, but I figured it was worth asking if anyone here has any ideas. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.