View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just Thinkin

Well, I reckin I should have titled this post "Thinkin Out Loud".

Anyhow, I was just thinkin: I wonder if Dylan Biondo knows how lucky he is to be in a racing family. I mean, he has several family members with many years of serious racing experience they can share with him. And, they have several cars he can drive, & connections they could use to find other rides for him, if needed.

I had a great Dad, who helped me with most everything I wanted to do. Growing up, he taught me to drive tractors, cars, & trucks, at a VERY young age. When I got a license, he would let me use his cars & pickups whenever I wanted.

When I got old enuff to buy my own car, he co-signed the loan for me to buy my new '69 GTO. Also co-signed loans for several motorcycles, boats, trucks, & even my race car shop.

But, when it came to racing, he never went to a single race. And, I don't ever remember him helping me wrench on a single race car. He let me borrow/use any of his tools & other things he had that I needed. But, he never actually turned a wrench on one of my race cars.

He said that was because he had to wrench on all his trucks & tractors all the time, so he wasn't about to spend any of his spare time(which was VERY little) workin on a race car. He never discouraged me tho. In fact, he'd occasionally ask how we'd done at the weekend's races, and seemed pleased that we were doing well & winning lots of races.

I've often thought that maybe he didn't go to any races or help me work on the cars, just because he didn't want to interfere in that part of my life. Maybe he wanted to "give me my space". But, having inherited the job of keeping all those trucks & the business running, I can see why he would not wanna spend any time workin on my stuff.

But, although he was a great Dad, & really helped me, in lots of ways, I can't help but wonder how cool it would have been if he'd been a racer & he could have taught me, & we could have raced together, like so many of the father/son race teams I've read about.

But, I'll never know. Ya'll carry on .