View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default part 28 goose

back about '77 or so there was this kid, who we thought to be very immature, named kenny. he sorta started hangin around all the time. he seemed very excited about being around all our "hot rod" stuff at the shop( by now known as the Speed Barn). he was a senior in high school as i recall. his ride was a little white chevette 4cyl stick, probably his moms car. one sunday he found out we were racing at haynesville so he came on up in the chevette. any street cars who wished could pay their $5 entry fee & make all the time trials there was time for. it was run what you brung. there was every kind of pitiful street car you could name. well, they called the street cars up for tt & there was a mad dash to the staging lanes. it reminds me of the recent mad dash to get a pair of rereleased air jordans. we were busy cooling down & gettin ready for our next tt. the street cars were lined up nose to tail. i don't remember who spotted it 1st, but 1 of us pointed to the staging lanes & said somthing like "check it out". there about halfway back in the lanes was this narrow white column of smoke going straight up into the air maybe 30' high. we looked closer & saw that the smoke was coming from the right rear of kenny's chevette. you couldn't even here the engine noise, but somehow he had figured out how to do a 1 wheel burnout without moving the car foreward. wouldn't his mom be proud? we had already coined the phrase, so we applied it here. look, kenny,s " putin on a show for the spectators". we could see he loved it & was doing all he could to be part of it. he finished school that may, so 1 day when he showed up, i said " you obviously love racin, so why don't you come on out here & help me do some wrenchin & this winter we'll rig you up a car. i'll learn 'ya everything i know about it & next year you can go with us & do some real racin ". well as expected he thought that was a good idea, so the gig was on!