View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
My formula has the 3.73 gears. The MSRP was 10.53 but the actual charge amount was 7.80 and it was a M-21 trans. Not sure why we can’t compare a ram air formula which is what seems to be the formula of choice is to a T/A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Formulas are straightforward, as Baron noted, because everything is always on the invoice, since the standard trans was a 3-speed manual. So a Formula with a 4-speed will always indicate which one (M20 or M21) on the invoice, and if it has the 3.73 it will always show the Performance Axle as a priced option. Since 3.73s were mandatory with M21, every M21 car will have the Performance Axle option on the invoice. The HD Radiator will always be there on a 3.73 car, too, because it was mandatory with 3.73s. My Formula's invoice is like yours ... M21, 3.73, and HD Rad all itemized separately.

Trans Ams are more difficult for two reasons:
1) Because the transmissions were all "no cost" selections. Unless you got an M21, and then there were some extra costs on the invoice for the mandatory 3.73s and HD Radiator.
2) It seems Pontiac wasn't consistent in how they invoiced this stuff that was mandatory with the M21.

Baron, thanks for posting those invoices. Always interesting. I think odds are as you suggest, that the Carlin car was probably an M21/3.73 car... it just happened to be one of the ones that didn't get billed for the axle.

Here's a build sheet and PHS from another Van Nuys car that shows the 3.73 on the build sheet (and it's an M21 car), but only the HD Radiator on the invoice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Build_Sheet.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	543096   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHS Invoice.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	543097  

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue