View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Judge View Post
That is by far the hardest Pontiac starter that there is to find. Let's face it, Starters are one of the many components that commonly failed (these due to extreme heat) and were replaced by over the counter parts. Not many guys were rebuilding their original equipment in order to "keep it original" back in the day or even in many cases even the last 10 years. When you can buy a rebuilt unit for under $35.00 at the parts store and have your car back on the road in 1 hour, you know what happened to the originals. I looked for one these 8353's for my car for years before finding one. I may have a line on another one though. I need to check.
HfR is correct though. You will be lucky to find one, PERIOD! Regardless of the date. Joe, I have to tell you, $1500.00 is approaching a number that has me asking if my 69Judge really needs this starter. Maybe you need to come to WI for a shopping spree?

BTW:BEWARE of the guy in Illinois selling all of these starter cores on ebay. He seems to come up with these 8353's and 8436's every other week now! He had 1 or 2 real
8436's a few years back but has now obviously lost his conscience!
Uncle,

I just picked up one of these starters. It cost me dearly and I had to have it rebuilt but I am convinced it is genuine. If it is a restamp, it is the best I have ever seen. I compared the font and positioning of the letters and numbers on the case with the 455SD NOS starter I had in my car. Perfect!! My local rebuilder stripped the case and everything looked fine though someone had drilled and tapped a couple of holes for what the rebuilder thought could have been a makeshift case heat shield or outboard soleniod. Luckly, they were not near the markings and he filled them. You know the car this is going on so expense was no option though in this economy it still hurts. Email me at my personnal address and I will tell you more.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I have that 1973 SD455 starter for sale now. Number is: 1108495 date code of 2 C 8, March 8, 1972. My 1973 Master Pontiac book shows this to be the correct starter for the 1973 SD455 and replacements for early RA and HO engines. The case is virgin and perfect but the starter should be rebuilt. I have photos. I removed the high heat solenoid to be placed on my 853 starter. PE if interested..