View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just for clarification, the V16 build I envisioned would not go to all the trouble to mate 2 V8 blocks together with a common crankshaft. It would be 2 V8s that ran a coupler between the 2 V8 engines in tandem. This has been done before with other engines, I.E. Bonneville cars, and some drag cars.

You're going to get the same effect without all the one off parts needed to make 2 engines into one.

The V12 LS engines with a common block and crank are already being produced, so why go to all the trouble and expense to get the same end result? Having 2 V8s in tandem would actually be even a better result without all the added expense of the extra machining and casting to make a V12. You'd have 4 more cylinders and extra length for extra power over the V12. Thing being if it was done with cast iron blocks the car would be so nose heavy that it would only be used for straight line racing, even street driving would be a challenge with most of the weight on the front wheels. Actually getting the car to hook would be most likely an effort in futility. Aluminum engines would help, but in the end it would still be nose heavy.

Given the propensity of Pontiac Stratostreak V8s to run hot with 8 cylinders, cooling a V12 or a V16 with one waterpump and radiator may be the limiting factor to one common block. That's one of the reasons my dream would have 2 sets of waterpumps of 2 engines in tandem, possibly one common radiator, or maybe 2 radiators divorced from each other.

Lots of engineering challenges to make a Stratostreak V12/V16 package even somewhat practical for a street car, not to mention the deep pockets one would need to pull it off, definitely not for the faint of wallet. If someone actually completed a car and engine such as outlined it would still be a exhibition show car type of exercise.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated