View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
They make ethanol test kits that are cheap. I used them years back and I'd bet they are still available all over the internet if someone is interested in knowing just how much ethanol is in there.

The scary part is when I was testing it at the 2 stations I frequented at the time, I found ethanol as high as 17% even though the pumps advertise 10%. And that varied quite a bit so in reality you never really know how much you're pumping in. I'm guessing that stuff isn't regulated as tightly as we would like to think. Haven't done that in years but I don't see any reason it would be different now. It's one of the biggest reasons I tend to tune the cars a little bit on the fat side to keep things safe, as ethanol rises, so does the engines fuel requirement. Better safe than sorry.

I've been running "10%" ethanol blend for years in every car here with no ill affects. 91 is the best we have here in AZ. No issues with any of the cars dieseling at shutoff in winter or during the hot summer. One car is 11:1 compression with iron heads and is a 4 speed. I have it idling up around 1,000 rpm and it shuts right off no problem and runs perfect on the 91 octane.

If ethanol free makes you feel better then by all means use it. We have one station within a 100 mile radius of my house that even carries ethanol free and it was just built last year. Unfortunately it's only offered in 87 octane which I can't run anyway so it's just not an option for me.
And that is why guys running E85 are constantly monitoring every gallon they put into their race car.

What most people seem to forget is that ethanol is alcohol and washes cylinders clean as they run resulting in short engine lifespans. Why do you think guys running alcohol need to re-ring their engines every few seasons.

You pick up more power but IMO its not worth the added wear.