View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
To answer the OP. SGI, is "Star Galaxy Inc." Yes, they are a Chinese manufacturer of aftermarket engine parts and they private label parts to various vendors. The cast iron crankshafts they produce have had some failures in the field. This startles me as in typical use, a big heavy crankshaft like a Pontiac shouldn't be under that much stress with decent support in the block and moderate RPM and HP. But yet there are plenty of pics of 2 piece cast aftermarket Pontiac crankshafts. This means the Chinese have succeeded in producing a crankshaft inferior to a junkyard core stock Pontiac crankshaft! Impressive. You make no mention of target RPM or target HP so hard to make a recommendation. I will make 2 to cover the spectrum. If your building a stock or near stock HP engine say 400 HP@ 5500 RPM and budget is a major concern, I would consider using a stock Pontiac crankshaft of your choice and sell the BBC rods you must already have. If more HP/rpm is in the build plans, the Scat forged crankshaft would be a good choice IMO. Molnar forged would be even a little better. They have excellent machining, finish and journal accuracy. In summary, aftermarket cast crankshafts from China would be my last choice for any Pontiac build. Good luck with it.
X 2, Mike. I have ground one too many 454 BBC cast cranks purchased from Competition Products. They are absolute JUNK! I don’t care if it’s Eagle, SGI or RPM....Chinese cast cranks ARE trouble going somewhere to happen. When you are having to grind brand new cast cranks .030 under to correct out of stroke, taper and out of round you know something isn’t right.

Dr. Thomas Sowell