View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
" Their catalog states need to specify Chevy or Buick/Pontiac/Oldsmobile before ordering."

I have to question what possible difference could it make whether a converter was gonna be used in a Chevy or BOP ???

I understand needing cubic inch, cam, torque/hp/rpm range specs, & intended usage info. But, how could a converter tell the difference in a particular BRAND of trans or engine ?
Chevy used a "bolt and nut" (three of each) to hold the converter to the flexplate. The raised bracket welded to the converter is fairly large. Bolt goes thru flywheel, thru bracket, gets secured on back side of bracket with the nut.

The big brackets can interfere with the "Detroit Balance" weight on a BOP flywheel. Converters for BOP have a smaller, welded-on tab that's drilled and tapped--no nut needed. Clears the balance weight welded to the flywheel.

I've always assumed you could use a BOP-style converter on a Chevy, but maybe not the other way around--depending on the position of the flywheel balance weight. I like the BOP system better. Seems to me that the newer converters (Chevy TH700R-4, for example) are the BOP style, but threaded for metric bolts.

Last edited by Schurkey; 10-15-2019 at 07:44 PM.