View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
as far as weight differences, 40 years ago john sawruck and I were talking about my 70.5 GT37 400 3 speed manual car and how much lighter it was than a comparable gto. we started making a list of stuff we could come up with. example, gto front bumper heavier than the gt, rubber mat lighter than carpet, really cheapo door panels, seats etc compared to the gto. he also sent me copies of paperwork from Pontiac that showed performance tests on all their 70 year models. and the fastest 1/4 mile time was a GT-37 400 4 speed (WT with 12 heads) and a 3:90 posi. yes it was faster than a ra4 gto and firebird.
Gary,

Interesting as I had a very similar conversation with John Sawruk at the Pure Stock Drags back 15 years, or more, ago and he was describing a Silver with black guts Tempest post coupe a fellow engineer at the proving grounds (Black Lake in Milford?) ordered with the WT 400, I believe the std. M-13 3-speed trans, 3.55 Saf-t-track, and G-70 blackwall tires on black steel wheels & dog dishes, and maybe, PS & PDB's. He wrote the options on a piece of paper I had in my car and I still have it in my files. I'll have to scan it and post it in a few days. John said he swapped in an M-20 4-speed trans and that it was hard to beat in the quarter mile.

Dennis