View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
My 455 originally had #15 heads. I have owned this car since 1979, when "real" high octane leaded gas was still available. When they phased it out leaded and replaced it with 93 octane unleaded, I had a continual pinging problem. I struggled with that for a couple years. Back off the timing and it ran hot. Octane boosters were for the most part snake oil. For a street driven car, it was a major pain to be constantly chasing the right sweet spot to eliminate the ping and not kill performance. The only fix was head replacement to lower compression. I ran 1971 #96 and they were great until previous repaired cracks let loose. Now I run 6X and have about 9.25 to 1. . If you plan a compression increase, make sure you get a cam that will control the pre-ignition. If it's for the strip, then you probably will buy race gas.
Does your engine still have the stock cam in it??? Just wondering...how does it perform with the 6X heads?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...