View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Easy question to ask; very difficult to answer.

For 1964~1966, much easier, because as Dick B. mentioned, lots of good repro fuel lines, linkages, etc.

For 1957~1963, different ball game. And the desired end result has bearing into the equation. Are you interested in a nice appearing "driver", or do you want concours d'elegance restoration? A lot of the available repro stuff is fine for the nice appearing driver, but unsuitable for the restoration.

Like Dick mentioned, incorrect carbs OR carbs with repro airhorns which are not "perfect" or aluminum throttle body repros, even "correct" carbs on wrong year manifold (eg. 1963 front on 1964 manifold). Again, as Dick mentioned, carb body paint. I tend to totally avoid setups with carbs with body paint. Anyone that would use that crap is apt to cobble everything else as well. In my opinion, a "restored" setup with body paint is worth maybe 40 percent of the setup BEFORE it was even touched!

1957 and 1958 air cleaners are virtually unobtainable. If "driver", then one can replace with GTO pie pans, but if restoration is your goal, good luck on acquiring a 1957 or 1958 air cleaner that is restorable for the figures given above on restored tripowers.

As as aside to that, Pontiac alone used 17 different large tripower air cleaners (that I know of) from 1957~1966. If one is present, is it the correct one for the rest of the set-up.

Several special fittings that were used one or two years only, same with brackets. We had a tool maker custom make us special tooling to enable us to machine the various special fittings.

And I don't know the answer to this, but has anyone reproduced the water switches? Believe me, machining new ones is not a lot of fun.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 06-19-2019 at 09:25 AM.