View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho4554spd View Post
I was looking at their stump puller cam. Did your iron heads have any port work? What did you use for intake and carb? Thanks
I did a home port job on a set of 4x heads that had larger valves installed (similar to the 6x) after watching a couple videos, etc., My machinist flowed a couple of ports, which were right at 240 cfm. If I recall, a typical factory port flows around 214?? I could be wrong on that. Actually, I think my 214 number came from the same machinist testing a stock 5C head that just had some light cleanup or gasket matching.

I used a qjet and factory cast iron intake. I had the Ram Air style iron exhaust manifolds in the KRE head engine, and headers on the 4x head engine. I know that sounds a little backwards, but was just how things ended up. It goes without saying that the KRE head engine made more power with iron manifolds than the 4x head engine did with headers....

I can appreciate the use of iron heads for people wanting a completely stock look or class racing, or if the budget is already squeezed. But in my personal weekend Warrior experience, the best investments I have made in my small handful of pontiac builds are a roller cam and Aluminum heads!! The packages that SD recommends simply work well together and take the guess work out of it for us novices!! If you can swing the expense and want it done right the first time without any "moderately" successful builds, go with a tried and proven package by SD, Butler or a reputable builder on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
The Following User Says Thank You to leeklm For This Useful Post: