View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a '61 421sd dual quad setup for a gentleman named Bob Gawlick in Arizona a couple of years ago for him to put on a black '61 batwing race car that has provenence. He sent me pictures of the car after it was restored and all lettered up but I didn't keep them. Last year, about a year after I shipped him the carb set, I get a call from an engine builder asking me about the carb set and whether or not it would fit on modern aluminum heads, etc. There were problems with the engine that had been done for the car. Of course the intake on the setup would not fit new aluminum heads because it was a 542991. To make a long story shorter I ended up calling Bob and it turns out Fulper did the engine and screwed it up. The pistons were down in the holes, it wouldn't run right, I don't remember what all? Bob was having it completely redone. I'm glad the new engine builder called me because it turns out the engine had 306 heads on it and probably other real SD components, and these would have been lost to the car had the new engine builder gone ahead with the aluminum head thing. The new engine builder was not that familiar with Pontiacs. We discussed everything and the engine got redone with the dual quad setup and 306 heads etc. being saved. I refer to Mr. Gawlick as Bob here but I do not really know him I just did a carb set for him. He is not a Pontiac guy but apparently is a known car guy because you will see him mentioned in Corvette and other car circles. Fulper has popped off on Facebook at least once that I saw about having done the engine for Bob Gawlick's batwing. Yeah, he did it alright!