View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN CROCIE View Post
Carb leakage use to be such a common problem that H-O developed a secondary well seal + primary lead plug seal kit for that purpose. Symptoms were exactly as you describe. after 3-4 days the car would need to be cranked a lot or manually primed to get running. Did Cliff seal up the secondary and primary plugs? Later Q-jets are better from a leakage standpoint, but not perfect.
yes i have read about that issue & the plug kits & other ways to try & seal them.

both of my cliff built q-jets are from 1978 t/a's, & both have done this from day one & not gotten any worse. so i would have to trust that cliff checks them &/or does his sealing procedure if needed.

i dont doubt leaking well plugs can be an issue, but with as many q-jets out there that do this type of thing it could be fuel related or pump diaphrams letting fuel past or who knows.

seems to be worse for some people than others, i can get by for about 5-7 days with just just a short crank of about 3-5 seconds, after that it would need 2 or 3 cranks depending on how long it sat. after a week or more i dont even touch the pedal, i do 2 cranks for about 3-5 second each, then floor it 1 or 2 times to set the choke & get a squirt of fuel, next crank it fires right up. no real strain on the starter or battery, but lately i manually prime it when its been longer than a week.