View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Getting back to NYtrainer's original question. It was fairly common in the 60's and early 70's to see trunk mounted electric pumps on some of the hot cars. My buddies 69 COPO Camaro he bought in 72 already had an electric pump mounted in the trunk when he bought it, along with running the stock mechanical. Cars like these F-bodies don't have a bunch of room under the car back there to mount much of anything and in those days that was the solution when you didn't have many other choices on a street/strip car.

These days you just don't see much of that anymore now that we have several options with FI tanks and in tank pumps that solve all these problems.

Plus I believe NHRA cracked down on it. It would also be cause for tech inspectors at the track to scrutinize the car a bit more when you have anything fuel related in the trunk. Usually requires some sort of firewall protection from the passenger compartment and I don't remember if a trunk with a back seat separating passengers is enough or not, but I do know they get really funny about hatchback cars and station wagons because I've been through that before. It's in the rule book if one cares to look. I do know they don't like any fuel at all in the passenger compartment, not even a mechanical fuel pressure gauge, for obvious reasons.