View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
I can't be the only one who has done this. I recently acquired an 86 chevy truck, 2 wheel drive, and a blown up 4.3 liter. I was entertaining the thought of putting in a Pontiac engine in it. I have a complete running 326. So, what engine mounts do I need? I am not sure it will bolt up to the 3 speed. Is there an adapter plate? I probably can get a t 350 fairly inexpensively. All the wiring, fuel, and cooling I can probably figure out. Any tips? Have you done it? The truck is gonna be put together a little rat rod style. I also have a chebby 350, but like the idea of a poncho for obvious reasons. I just want it running and driving with throaty exhaust. I've been telling my daughter she'll be the only one driving to school in something like this.
You might be able to use the engine brackets with the frame (rubber) mounts. Leave the frame bracket pieces attached to the frame and cross member.
Bolt the engine brackets to the engine and bolt the rubber mounts to the engine brackets.
Lower the engine and trans into position. Positioning the trans mount where it needs to be...if possible.
The rubber mounts MIGHT land on the frame mounts, allowing you to mark spots to drill for rubber mount attachment.
The frame/crossmember mounts can also be moved, I believe.

This is somewhat of a crap shoot. Worst thing I have think you might run into is that the engine asembly(the including mounts and brackets) might be a little too narrow, hence needing spacers.
I've seen 2 70's pickups with Pontiac 400's in them. The vehicle owners were both thrilled with the performance and MPG!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...