View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Suspended

I have a flex fan that I fished out of the trash-can, back in '85 when I was putting my car together. I held it in the shroud opening, it looked like an excellent fit, so I gave it a shot, and it works great. I don't know the size, but you cannot stick your finger between the blades and shroud. And it sits 50/50 in the shroud on a stock Pontiac spacer. Someone told me it was a 428 (9?) Cobra-Jet flex fan; I couldn't say one way or the other. I have much better pictures of it, but I would have to dig. This one shows enough detail to get a general idea of what it looks like.

I'm a firm beleiver that you need a large volume of air passing through the radiator when idling. My concern with a new fan: it sounds like your current fan will suck the chrome off a doorknob.

You might want to do some road testing before you install the new fan. As you know, long periods of running are best because temperature creep sometimes won't show with short running time. I mention this because you might have solved the problem. And once you install the new fan, you own it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	437086