View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Well, I'm back & the car which use to overheat in about 2 miles of city street driving at about 20-25 mph now seems to be able to run down the street at about 15-20 mph at a pretty constant temp. of about 180* When out tonight & I ran up & down the streets at below normal speed, some people following me must have thought I was having some problems because I was going so slow & always looking down at my gauges to see what was going on. The route I took tonight was the same I would use & have the car overheating . I took it even a bit slower just to try to force it to get hot. The engine stayed about the 180 mark the entire time & when I got back to the house & backed in the garage the way I usually do it would normally been percolating into the overflow jug. But this time it's just at the temp. it was when it 1st came up & it stayed there without boiling over. I didn't think it could be so simple but by changing the T-stat housing I had on there which was a chrome 360* one that was pointing up at about a 60-70 * angle & that put it at about 1 1/2 inch to 2 inches above the rad. outlet for the upper hose. I really found this just by listening to the water boil inside the upper hose after I had had it running in the driveway for about 5-7 min's & then just turned it off & stood there listening to it for a bit. It's one of those I just took a step back & stood there wondering what to do next & it just popped into my head. POOF !!! I think I'm going to try a few more little things like take the 1 inch spacer out of the fan & put the clutch fan back to the front of the water pump hub , which will put it back to where the fan was spaced when it ran a constant 165*'s on the highway where as now it's up to about 180*'s. Also I will install the 19" 7 blade fan whenI get it to see if that will bring it down a little bit more. But changing the T-stat housing was the big fix so far. Just a couple more little steps to get it back to where I think it should be. But for now it is good where it is.