View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

Default Staggered Tire Combo..

Ok, I went from 14x6 Rally IIs all the way around with p22570s.
I kept those up front.
I restored a pair of 15x7 Rally IIs (take that green party and cash for clunkers, how many of them have keep 4000 or so pounds of vehicle and parts out of the scrap yard. We are the damn environmentalists, not them. There batteries filling land fills will be the end of the environment some day.)

the PMD caps are not fitting the 15x7s tight, so the arrowhead caps they came with are on for now.

I went with R15 p275/60s. A classic look for muscle in my opinion is taller, wider, and a little more sidewall in the rear compared to the front. You gain about 1.5 inches in diameter/ .75 in height, 1.8 inches in width, and .25 inches of sidewall in the rear compared to the front in this combo on these rim sizes.

Just the look I was going for, plus a couple hundred less rpms at cruising speed.
Have not had the wife, spare, and all the kids in the trunk, and hit bumps at speed, but think I am going to be OK.

My "Day Two" look I was going for is complete.
You can compare to my sig for the tire size appearance comparsion.

I know the hood scoops, hood tach, and spoiler are suppossed to be body color.
I know it is supposed to be 14 inch rims all around, no trim rings, and PMD caps in back (which if I get them to fit tight will put on),

I know it is not supposed to have "GTO 400 CID" gloss black stickers and gloss black The Judge stickers on the spoiler, extra stickers on the rear window, the split exhaust tips, etc.
should be a blacked out front grill, etc.
Not going for a factory correct show appearance. Going for the look you had in the 70s and 80s when you got your hands on one.

these are not balloons, these are how old school muscle looks

ok, maybe I do need hood pins,
but that will be the last thing for appearance. I swear.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"