View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
As opposed to a brass-hat car for Zone use, I'd guess that "ENG 3547" suggests that it was assigned to Pontiac engineering and assigned ID 3547. It's not uncommon to have such cars loaded with options. I'd love to learn more about its history.
I agree with Rocky on that scenario.

These SD cars didn't start leaving Norwood until mid-to-late June.
October would be in-line after its 3 month tenure in Michigan.

All the 50-001 cars so far have had PMD tie-ins in some capacity.
Enoch Eley for example, was high up in accounting dept.
There was also Toth and Goad

What happened a lot was these guys were smart enough to get deep double discounts on basically new cars after some light departmental use.
And had the pull or shoulder rub to get it done in harmony.
To pull off a limited production car like the 73 SD, Hanson was probably deep in the know and well heeled in the chain of command.

This invoice reflects discount for its use.
For a PMD employee it would have had even an additional discount on top of that.

Being from engineering doesn't exactly mean it was brutalized or anything. It could have just been a daily driver for a higher up in engineering. And they would just keep a log book on its drive-ability and behavior patterns etc.

Hanson most likely picked the colors and content and dictated that info to the department ahead of time.
There was a short window on these cars.
Engineering would have been the best department to go through to have full flexibility of eligibility when the window was opened.

That would be my best guess-timate overall right now.
Not a concrete take it to the bank deal without more potential info.