View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at this Tempest today. It would probably be most productive to list what was not leaking! It is definitely leaking fluid in the rear of the car. The dry areas were the torque converter and cap, bone dry, the governor cover was also dry. Just about everything else under the rear was wet with ATF, engine oil, Gear oil, or some combination. The trans fluid really isn't red in color. More of a gray hue to it. It doesn't have a gear oil smell to it so I don't think the fluids are mixing. The right tailpipe, not too far from the dipstick tube had a black crust of burned fluid on it from leakage over time. Starting at the front, the rear of the oil pan had a small leak, the bellhousing and torque tube had some oil in it as well, but not really dripping. The speedo cable and adapter had a little fluid hangong on it as well as the shift cable and manual linkage. I let it idle for 1/2 hour and not a drip on the floor. I recommended de-greasing and cleaning the rear area well and putting some florescent dye in the trans fluid. Then we can re-examine with a black light. Leak diagnosis on a 57 year old car can be difficult.