View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 12:37 AM
Suspended

Default still getting hot

Well I have tried so much stuff I don't know what else to do. 1st off I have a 3" think Alum. rad which is equal to the 4 core copper/brass rad. I'll start about 1 1/2 months ago. I bought a new H.D. clutch for the fan, it is a 17" 7 blade set just inside the fan shroud. Fan is about 1-1 1/2 inches inside the factory shroud. The factory shroud on a 73 is the type where the rad. sits inside the fan shroud & all the air goes through the fan shroud. Horst you know the design. Before that I had tried 3 different fan ,2 solid & one alum. type for use with a clutch & none of those worked. Both the upper & lower hoses are Dayco & are almost new. I run a 160* super stat. The lower hose doesn't have the spring in it as I watched several times to see if it were collapsing, which is doesn't. Now this time I took the water pump off , replaced the divider plate with an NOS GM one. The water pump has the steel impeller. I went & clearanced the plate to a little less then .10ths, as I don't have feeler gauges that are long enough to get into the the plate enough. I also replaced the sleeves & seals with NOS units that I had in my stock stuff. I also installed the Taurus electric fan which is a puller & pulls a lot of air. Don't know the cfm but I have read a few times on the different sites that the Taurus fan works good when installed correctly. The relay will now turn on the elect. fan at 180*'s & off at 170*'s . I have a 6 1/2 pulley on top & an 8" on the bottom, with a 2 3/4 or 3" pulley on the Alt. The 1 thing I haven't done so far which I should have done a while ago is take the T-stat out & try it with out. My timing is at 14* advanced right now with the total at 35*'s. I don't have any way to check air/fuel mix but it seems to run very good & I know it's not rich or lean as the throttle response is great. Right now I have to get a new belt for the W/P as it's in need but not bad enough to cause any concerns. SO tonight I don't know if any of this has worked yet. At least not until the AM. I run a 50/50 mix to. Now before all this going down the road the car stays at 160*'s & when I get into traffic it continues to creep up until if I let it will start to boil out into the overflow jug. Air flow seems very good even at idle as I can at idle put a piece of notebook paper on the front of the rad. & it will stay there with no problem at all. So air flow seems good. BUT ????? P.S. The heads are E-heads 87cc heads & it has the nipple that screws into the heads that it came with. As far as drilling the block , I guess I'm not familiar with that process??