View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything you did should help, but you might have a few little things working against you....
Quote:
It is a 17" 7 blade set just inside the fan shroud.
The factory fan is about 19-1/4. Your fan is too small. The fan should be about 1/2" away from the inside rim of the fan shroud.
Quote:
Fan is about 1-1 1/2 inches inside the factory shroud.
The fan should be about halfway in the shroud.
Quote:
The water pump has the steel impeller.
People have had issues with the steel impeller and overheating. Not sure if the clearance trick is as effective with a steel impeller. You might try going to a factory cast iron impeller and set the clearance .030". If you need a factory pump, let me know.
Quote:
boil out into the overflow jug.
Again see, if the cooling system will hold pressure. Boiling concerns me. The radiator pressure test kit from Harbor Freight is pretty cheap. Another way is after a drive, squeeze the upper radiator hose. You should feel that it is pressurized. How long does it stay that way?
Quote:
the nipple that screws into the heads that it came with.
The Pontiac nipple had a flow restriction in it. I understand if you just put a plain nipple in there, it can cause issues, but not as serious as you describe.
Quote:
As far as drilling the block , I guess I'm not familiar with that process??
Early 60's Pontiac engine blocks had two additional cooling holes near the center cylinders. Pontiac head gaskets still have these holes and can be used as a template for drilling them. Suppose to aid cooling of the center cylinders.