View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife has a 2008 Vibe that I wanted to remove the right rear drum to check the brake linings as it has 280,000 miles on it with original shoes (we bought it new, so I know they're original linings). Been through 3 sets of front pads and one set of rotors, 1 pair of calipers, so far.

I also had to cut the center out of the drum because I mangled it so badly trying to get it off the hub, the center wasn't concentric any longer. I stripped out both of the bolt holes that you can thread a bolt into to push them against the hub. Heated it, beat on it and it was so bent I just cut it off with the torch. The good thing was the brake lining was still good.....LOL. It'll probably still have the original brakes on the rear when I get rid of it.

Back in 1970, I had a Datsun truck come in for state inspection when I lived in PA, that I cracked the drum from beating on it and heating it to get it off. Probably the two that I had the worst time removing from the hub in close to 50 years of turning wrenches.

Fortunately I haven't done any brake jobs on ford focuses, probably won't either as I'm retired now and only work on my own stuff and close friends cars. I turn down work all the time from neighbors because they know I work on cars, just not their cars...….

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated