Thread: Shifter boot
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking for answers with my 1966 parts book perhaps only serves to get one more confused. Of course, I can't guarantee that the book still contains all the proper pages. If you have ever seen how revisions are distributed through the year you see many opportunities for omissions.
There is an exploded picture for 60-63 with bucket seats which shows the boot (or seal) to be square. That picture also shows a reverse lockout shifter. A square boot is what all pictures of consoles seem to show.
The various listings of parts groups of course don't bother to say square or round. and one can get very confused chasing the various applications. However, in group 4.010 for the cover (which seems to be what the parts book calls what is commonly called the porch) there is an entry for 62-63 body style 23 only, a specific listing for a cover number different than any other body style. Is that the round one??
And then in group 4.015 for the seal (or boot) there is a specific note for one seal as "exc SD".
Like I said, none of these listings say square or round. It's just that it does appear that SD may have had part numbers different than all the rest.