View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fitment of quarters

I do have a lot of experience trimming to fit. my Dad taught me how to build balsa aircraft when I was young and later in life I trimmed to fit many a panel on actual production aircraft.

I trimmed up to the butt weld fit slowly. 4 or 5 rough cuts before another 4 to 6 times trimming with a 2" sanding wheel with my dotco. the tight butt weld fit helps not blowing thru it so easily.

I took my time and had the quarter up and down likely 25 times. maybe more.

only a 70-73 firebird owner will understand the one pic. its where the trunk drop off, inner and outer tail panels, and the quarter come together. to my knowledge there is no "filler" piece for back there. seems odd, and certainly a major area for water and debris to hit and start rust so i'll be overkilling the area with preventative measures for sure.

the seam is not visible from the trunk unless you plant your head on the trunk floor and look up at it. after spatter paint and such be hard to see even then.

enjoying the heck out of the process now. should have quarters done and the remaining blue areas (cars original color is silver) of the car sanded and epoxy primed by the end of December. then on to gap welding and adjustment before actual bodywork.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:00 AM.