Thread: My best story
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Suspended

I have too many "best" stories in Pontiacs and other makes. Back in the late 70's early 80's I got a lot of tickets and I think I had a bench in the local courthouse with a brass nameplate and my name on it. I out ran the police one time in my '67 GTO because I got a ticket at the same stretch of road the week before and could not afford a second. Got bagged by a pair of state trooper parked on an overhead bridge talking outside their cars as I turned on and up the bridge dropping into 1st gear on my '67 GTO for effect squealing/smoking tires only to look up and get waived over. Got a warning. Another time in the '67 I was on the interstate and traveling at a really high speed when I went past the cop hiding behind the bridge abutment. I went by him so fast that he never moved and I was ready to go faster because stopping would have been my license. I still have a file with many of my tickets. But back then, you just paid the fine and no insurance points. Did get a big MPH ticket where the judge asked me "exactly why do you need your license." Was a very big fine and a parking ticket when I went back to my car.

This was my first entry into a "muscle car" that started it all for me - my 1967 Firebird.

I bought my first "performance" car from a co-worker and classmate of mine named Duncan. Duncan bought the car from a co-worker and a classmate who was 1 year older than us, Paul. Paul had some work done on the engine, and had raced the car at the nearby Thompson Speedway in Connecticut in the street car division - you use your own street car. Paul lost his race and kicked the front fender putting a nice dent in it when he lost; the only dent in the car. The car was a 1967 red Firebird, bucket seats, console shifter, 3-speed manual trans, in very solid shape. The original 326CI had been replaced with a Pontiac 350CI and Paul had had the heads worked on it. It leaked oil at the rear main and he got tired of it and sold it to Duncan for $300. Duncan drove it a while, but got tired of the oil leaking and not so good gas mileage. So I bought it from Duncan for $300. I pulled the engine, my first, and put new seals in it, my first try at this too. Got it all back in and no leaks. It was a fast car. Man would this thing burn rubber. This was about 1978 and before the 1967 GTO convertible.

The girlfriend at that time and I had just left the local movie in the little town we lived. The movie was one of those that leaves you "pumped" up, I can't remember what it was. She was still in high school at the time as a senior. I had graduated. She had a friend named Bruce who drove a clean white 1965 GTO with a 350CI and 4-speed. As it happened, Bruce pulled up behind us as we were heading out one of the main streets/roads leading out of town. This street has houses on each side, businesses, a church, parked cars, side streets, etc.. - a typical rural town main type street. Bruce is winding his GTO up and dropping back then racing forward again to taught us. I respond by hitting the gas and pulling away a few times with him right on my bumper. I have my eyes in front and in the rear view mirror watching Bruce. Next thing I know I hear that GTO drop a gear and the exhaust tone climb. Bruce pops the GTO into the oncoming lane of traffic, my left, and makes an attempt to "slingshot" past me. Mind you, no traffic, but cars parked along both sides of the street and there is only the two lanes - not a lot of room. As soon as I saw the GTO break out into the the lane, I dropped the Firebird down into 1st to get a burst of acceleration and into 2nd. We were side by side racing down this street with people outside on their lawns. The roar of 2 cars racing had to have woken everybody up, and no doubt the police were called for that stunt. We were neck and neck down the street for several blocks when Bruce gave up and fell behind. The street went out of town and was a wide open barren road with a long straight stretch for several miles. The GTO tried to get around me again, but I held him off once more. He dropped back, and I thought he had quit and given up. Nope. He had dropped back and built up some speed. This time he managed to "slingshot" right past me and as hard as I tried to catch him, he was gone. After that stunt, I stayed out of town for a while and went in and out via another road system.

My best memories where with my built 409CI, but this is Pontiac's and I have a lot of great memories - but the cars are long gone. LOL