View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
You'll find that part especially nice if you do the Rt 66 cruise. We do that cruise at least 2 times a year. Since you're coming from back East you'll experience quite a bit of elevation rise from where you currently are. Most guys that do the cruise from back East don't have horrible issues with it, but some do. You'll be over 7,000 ft in the Flagstaff area (DA's higher in the summer time), and elevation is up and down from there, and back near sea level when you reach the California portion of the drive.
That's what makes the EFI sweet. It makes calibrations on the fly. I deal with it (with carbs) daily, and it's a fair amount of time spent in tuning to get the carbs happy to deal with the various conditions out here.
Yeah, I was stationed at Ft. Carson, CO (Colorado Springs) in the mid 80s and had a 66 GTO with a Holley carburetor and it was a challenge just going from our home in Fountain up to Breckenridge. A lot of problems on hot summer days with vapor lock. I did everything I could to make it run better. Would have been nice to have had these aftermarket EFI systems back in the 80s.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot