View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default T.J.'s gonna race?

1974 was purty much more of the same til late in the season when T.J. surprised me by saying " if i'm gonna be here anyway i mite a well race too". well that was fine with me. but she could'nt see over the dash or reach the pedals in the ole goat so we decided on a '68 bird. we found a clean body on a lot in a nearby town. it was a 350 2bl with problems. but the price was rite $350. aah those were the days! i pulled the motor out of the goat, bought a junkyard th400 for $100 & stuck it all in the bird. the rear was a 1 wheeler probably a 2.73 or 3.08. our local junkyard had 1 he said was a 4.11 posi $150. he was rite about the posi but it was 3.23. oh well there have been liars in all generations. that shows just how little i knew at that time. i had no idea how to tell a gear ratio & absolutely nobody to tell or teach me any thing -- i was on my own. the whole process was a learning experience. but i was eager to learn, i had already tasted the thrill of victory & wasn't about to quit now! the car was under geared & had a stock converter so it was over a second slower than the goat. but it got T.J. started & she got some of those beginner mistakes behind her. '75 would be a different year.